For a long time, the Bauernteich supplied the ice for Schmöllns ice-cream parlor.
Newly designed bridges
A very good example of citizenry and communal creativity is the newly designed bridges.
Fountain on the market
It was put into operation again on 21 May 2005 after a construction period of only 9 months.
The Dahliengarten in the Weststraße is a color cake in the city center and invites you to linger.
Schmölln – Always a good decision to visit
Schmölln is a future-minded and welcoming town… and happy and proud to host yet another stage of the Tour with the world’s strongest ladies on the bike, which it has since 1999 with no one year of absence.
We have our own philosophy of welcome:
We’d like our visitors to enjoy the old and the new and get to know Schmöllners who represent the development in past and present of the town in the Sprotte River valley. For it is not only traditional trades and crafts that mean employment for the region, but also enterprises that selected Schmölln for the headquarters.
Schmölln has become a blooming city in the recent past, as is evidenced by a number of green spaces and parks, and by the recreational nature reserve close by, in the upper Sprotte valley.
Nature enthusiasts, hikers, and bikers are offered the active water experience trip along the Sprotte banks, almost 10 km toward Poststein for activity and relax during a holiday stay.
More than 80 clubs and associations drive the cultural life of the town and its 13 component villages, offering interesting programmes whatever your age.
And what’s your idea of things to do?
– Visit the indoor pool with a big spa?
– A shopping tour along the many shops in the town centre?
– A bike tour across the meadows between the towns of Thüringen’s “Chain of Welcome”?
– A panoramic view from atop the 30-meter-high Ernst Agnes Tower, Schmölln’s hallmark sight?
– A tour into the past in the Button and Regional Museum in close-by Posterstein Castle or into a rock cave?
– An organ recital in the city church?
– Just play or have a good time with your children in one of the more than 20 playgrounds in town, the traffic learning area or the skating tub?
– A climb at the indoor climbing wall?
– A culinary break with Schmölln specialties in one of the cafés or inns, most of which are family-operated?
– Or simply sit on a bench and enjoy the calm of a park or watching the hubbub of the market?
All this and so much more is Schmölln. Discover our town, its people in the way of your very own choosing. We invite you to enjoy yourself at our place!